- He has published over 700 papers in refereed International Journals and refereed International Conference Proceedings and authored 27 technical reports.
- He is a co-editor/co-author of twenty one books and authored 12 chapters in other books in the areas of VLSI System Design and Parallel Computing.
- He has supervised over 30 Doctoral theses and over 160 Masters theses in the above areas. In the areas of Parallel and Distributed Computing, and Soft Computing, he has been a Principal Investigator for a large number of Government-sponsored research projects and a Consultant to a few industries.
- He served as the President of the Advanced Computing and Communications Society, and the Computational Intelligence Society of India.
- He is a Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Region 10,and a distinguished Visitor of the IEEE Computer Society for the Asia-Pacific Region.
He is Fellow of the IEEE, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), The Computer Society of India, Indian National Science Academy, Indian Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, and Indian National Academy of Engineering. He is a Life Member of the VLSI Society of India, and Instrument Society of India, a founder Member of the Executive Committee of the Association for the Advancement of Fault-Tolerant and Autonomous Systems; a Fellow of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineers, and the Institution of Engineers. His name appears in Asia
- As a recognition of his contributions in the areas of Electronics, Informatics, Telematics and Automation, he was awarded the Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Research Award in 1989
- The Honorable Mention Award, Fourth CSI/IEEE International Symposium on VLSI Design in 1992.
- The Dr. Ramlal Wadhwa award for the year 1992 by the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers for his contributions during the last ten years in the fields of Electronics and Telecommunication.
- The Platinum Jubilee Lecture Award (Computer Science), Indian Science Congress, in 1994.
- The Samanta Chandrasekhar Award for the year 1994 by the Orissa Science Academy.
- The Certificate of Appreciation "For excellent service and dedication to the objectives of the IEEE Computer Society as a Distinguished Visitor", in 1995.
- The VASVIK Award in the Field of Electronic Sciences and Technology, Vividhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra,1996.
- The Hands for Indian IT Award for his contributions to the Indian IT (Information Technology) industry, in 1998.
- The "Distinguished Professional Engineer Award" by the Computer Engineering Division of the Institution of Engineers India,in 1999.
- The IEEE Computer Society's "1999 Technical Achievement Award" for his contributions in the field of parallel, distributed, and soft computing, and high performance genetic algorithms.
- The Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru National Award for Engineering and Technology, in 1999
- The Fourth Sir C V Raman Memorial Lecture Award in 2000.
- The First SVC Aiya Memorial Trust Award for Telecommunication Education, The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers, Pune Centre, 2000.
- The Om Prakash Bhasin Award for contributions in the areas of Electronic and Information Technology for the year 2001.
- The FICCI Award for Innovation in Material Science, Applied Research and Space Science, 2001-2002.
- The IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Service Award, 2002.
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Research for Engineering, the Indian Institute of Science, 2003.
- Distinguished Engineer Award of The Institution of Engineers(India), 2004.
- Goyal Prize for Applied Science, 2005, Honorary Fellow, the Indian Society for Technical Education, 2006.
- Indian Science Congress Association Srinivasa Ramanujan Birth Centenary Award, 2007-2008.
- Biju Patnaik Award for Excellence in Science in 2007.
- Top Management Consortium, Pune, Education Defence Services Excellence Award 2009.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2012, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
Who's Who of Men and Women of Achievement; Directory of Distinguished Computer Professionals of India.
For over one hundred and fifty International Conferences, he has served as General Chair or Program Chair or Steering Committee Chair; most of them sponsored by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). He has served on several significant committees of leading professional societies such as the IEEE, CSI, IETE and Institution of Engineers; review and policy committees of Government agencies such on the DST, DBT, MHRD, CSIR, DOS, UGC, AICTE, DRDO, DIT and UPSC. His participation in the reviews of several Engg Colleges in the states of Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, and Maharastra, organised by the AICTE, UGC, NBA, and TEQIP has significantly improved the quality of technical education in the country.
As Vice Chancellor of the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Deemed University, he was responsible for conducting large number of Doctoral, Masters, short and long courses, in the field of defence technologies for service officers from the Army, Air Force, Navy; DRDO scientists, officers from Indian Ordnance Factories and Director General of Quality Assurance, and service officers from several friendly foreign countries. He had initiated three new Post-Graduate Programmes of relevance to defence services, a new Centre on Nanotechnology for defence applications, and a collaborative programme with the Naval Post-Graduate School, California, USA.